Saturday, February 26, 2011

Superstitions! Superstitions!

Who believes in them? Honestly, I don't believe on these stuffs. For me they are a big hindrance in many ways! They hinder you to explore things, they limit your learning, and most of all they instill unnecessary guilt on people. And for what? Because of baseless crap? Ugh! As long as I know that I am not causing harm to anyone, then my conscience is clean. Bad luck only comes to negative people and to those who do harm to others. Yes, for me, karma is the name of the game.

Here are some superstitions I have heard in the province:
  1. Don’t sing when eating, you will marry an older man. My mom tried this too, but the 2 times she got married, she got married to a younger man.
  2. Don’t point at the rainbow, you will have a deformed finger. – I was afraid for sometime, I didn’t want to have a crooked finger!finally I got the guts to do it and nothing happened! 
  3. Don’t build a house facing the west, your life will always be going down, no success. 
  4. Don’t step over a rope when you are pregnant, your child will be born with the umbilical cord round his neck. - as you may have noticed now, I tend to disagree what I am told.
  5. If you are sick, chances are the witch must have looked at you or touched you.  Then there was this old lady who claimed to cure all the illness in the village.  All she did was get a pick of ginger, make out a cross on your forehead, and your wrists. Then she puts the ginger on your head and say a sort of prayer in latin.  I knew she didn’t understand what came out of her mouth, This reminds me that during those times, the catholic church said their prayers in latin. Nobody studied latin in my country. The priest can substitute any word that he missed and nobody would even know!
  6. Don't walk under a ladder or you'll have bad luck --- yeah, only if the person on top of that ladder happens to drop one of his tools.
  7. Don't cut your nails at night or you will see a ghost.
Ridiculous? Definitely!

I remember in high school, my friends and I went at the back of our school building where there was an overgrowth of plants and trees. One of my friends didn't want us to go there because she was afraid that we might accidentally step on some unseen fairies which may take revenge on us. None of us believed her, so off we went and she eventually tagged along. The next day, she was sick with fever. Funny because among the five of us, she was the only one who got sick. She said it was because of the enchanted spirits in the forest, I think it was because she was so nervous the day before and that stressed her system.

No comments:

Post a Comment