Monday, January 24, 2011

Living, Loving, and Learning...by Leonardo Buscaglia

Have you guys read this book? Leonardo Buscaglia is one of may favorite authors and people. Most lovable and loved by many, and why not when his speeches preaches of nothing but LOVE. He actually taught the subject in the University of California - Love 101. Great, huh? It may be weird for some but I would have gladly taken that class every year. Well, too bad Leo is no longer with us and I wonder if someone has pursued teaching the subject now. Good thing that he was able to author several books for us to ponder on and spend one quiet afternoon with.

About this book, this is actually a compilation of sort of excerpts from his speeches and lectures. Such a nourishment for the soul if you give it a chance to read. It has a way of leading us back to ourselves, of accepting our weaknesses and yet loving ourselves despite of the flaws. To marvel in our uniqueness and to not put our energy into being someone else. Yet, it also emphasizes on the process of learning new things to enrich us, and unlearning things that hinders us. To not limit ourselves by clinging on the filters that were imposed to us as a child by our environment.

That is basically what I like most about this book (no wonder I have read it like a hundred times!), it teaches me to love myself. Not in an egotistical way, but in a healthy manner so that by loving myself I can learn how to love other people and teach them to love themselves too. The title of the book shows us that this is a process. We live, we love, and we learn. On and on and on. We may get hurt or get broken, and we learn from that. Or better yet, we may get lucky and rejoice in it... :) 

            

The one on the left was bought in 1999, so it's been with me for 12yrs now. Over-used, over-read, and over-traveled. I always bring it with me in my travels. On the right is barely a year old, got it during a sale of a local bookstore. I managed to buy 5 copies and been giving them to close friends. Kept one for myself and still have another one which is still waiting for the lucky recipient... ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment